You need to login before liking, following, becoming fan or connecting to other profiles.
Click here to login / register with Indian-Music.
Are you sure, you want to delete this connection?
Kavalam Srikumar was born in Alleppey in Kerala. Born to an illustrious father Padmabhushan Sri. Kavalam Narayana Panikkar, famous Theatre Director and Poet.
He started learning Classical Music Vocal (South Indian Music) at the age of five. Learned music under the Masters Ambalappuzha Sivasankara Panikkar, Trichur Vaidyanathan, Mavelikkara Prabhakara Varma and Ambalappuzha Thulasi. Had advanced training in Karnatic Music & Sopana Music under the famous Musician Shri.B.Sasikumar.
Kavalam Sreekumar was the recipient of First Prize in Classical Vocal in the University Youth Festival for 5 Years. Performed Music Concerts all over India and many foreign countries like Russia , Japan,London, Paris, Singapore America and Gulf countries and has also conducted voice culture workshops with upcoming music students.
Tours & Programmes done:
Performed in the Music Festival organized by Kendra Sangeeth
Natak Akademi, held at Bhopal on Sept 30th, 2001 under the joint auspices of Kendra Sangit Natak Akademi and Usthad Allaudin Khan Sangeet Akademi, Bhopal and performed Sopana Music. Performed concert in the Music festival organized by Kendra Sangeeth Natak Akademi, held in Agarthala in 2009 March and in Delhi in Oct 2010
• Visited France in 2001,
• Visited Singapore in JULY 2002, OCT 2002, DEC 2002, AUG 2003,AUG 2007, SEPT 2008, 2010,
• Visited London in 2002 October and performed Karnatic Music Concert at the Bhavan’s Auditorium, London.
• Visited U.S.A in 2004 July-August and performed music programmes in many cities there along with film artists.
• Visited Europe (London, Switzerland, Italy, Germany etc) and Gulf (Qatar, Kuwait, Muscat, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc) in November, 2004 and performed classical music concerts for the Soorya Festival.
• Visited London in July, 2006 and performed concert at the Nehru Centre,London.
• Visited US in Oct-Nov 2012 and performed classical concerts, fusion programmes and devotional concerts.
Worked first in the field of abhinaya music with special application to Mohini Attam Dance form. Composed several songs for Mohiniyattam dance form, some of which are in the repertoire of Smt. Kanak Rele and Smt.Bharathi Sivaji, famous Mohini Attam dancers.
He has a distinctive style of rendering, which also gives importance to voice culture, expression and clarity of lyrics. His soulful, clear, authentic and powerful rendering of scriptures like Ramayana,Bhagavatha, Lalitha & Vishnu Sahasra Namam, Soundarya Lahari, Dhyana Slokas etc are widely listened and acclaimed by Malayalees
through out the world. His rendering of Adhyatma Ramayana is telecast every year for one month during July – August in popular Malyalam T.V. channels.
Awards and other Recognitions:
• Won Akashvani (All India Radio) Annual Award for the best musical feature produced in 1989 & 1990 (“Gurussakshath Param Brahma” on Adi Sankaracharya and “Parayipetta Panthirukulam” –national Integration Feature).
• He has anchored for 4 years a very popular music programme entitled “Ragolsavam”, based on classical ragas, in the Kairali Channel T.V.(Malayalam).
• Participated in the Surya TV show Sangeetha Maha Yudham Season 2.
• He was given the title “ Ramakadha Shukan” from Malliyur in the year 1999
• Received “Ganapoornasree” award from Chettikulangara in 2011.
• Received Kerala Sangeeth Natak Akademi Award for 2012 in Classical Music.
He has also rendered his voice for the following Malayalam films:
Agnisakshi, Ashtapadi, Thambu, Ilakkangal, Aalolam, Kanalaattam, Panchajanyam, Madhuchandralekha, Suryan, Kunjananthante Kata, Medulla Oblankatta, Rasam etc .
He joined as Programme Executive in All India Radio in 1985 and has voluntarily retired from All India Radio in April 2007 as Assistant Station Director.